Monday, November 25, 2019

Canvas LMS • Planning your Own Game.


Working in Canvas LMS was interesting. I did not understand the program well enough to know how to create my course. I was able to figure out how to add my own color to the course an image and how to add different assignments and sections. I was also able to add announcements to students and this had a lot of options so I liked this availability of styling.

These are the things I liked about Canvas:
  • Simplicity of layout 
  • Modern users interface and navigation 
  • Rubric options were available but I did not know how to link my Calendar, plan my dates and add Rubric - I am thinking this is an add-in the correct order issue. 
  • I would love tips on how to know how expert advanced/LMS designers plan their courses 
  • Tips on changing due dates/assignments to readjust for students progress
These are the things I found difficult about Canvas
  • Setting up an LMS account was not easily understandable for a newbie. 
  • Adding students was confusing. I researched and found you need to publish to add additional teachers and accounts/students. 
  • There should be a test option link to see what is shared as a teacher. (Maybe there is?). 
  • It would help to have preset templates that you can redesign until you understand the process better. 
  • I am still deciding if I like the pop-up stacks? Will it be easy for students to navigate? I liked how it looks better but Schoology folders feel easier to understand for new students.
Overall I liked the fact that I have a course up and ready for someone to view. I like that Canvas is free for use and you could send an LMS completed class to use immediately. This is great for a new ID because you can should that you are able to create LO’s and understand the complicated structure of online courses. I feel that we as online students have an advantage as we can think of our experiences learning online. What was easy for us to understand and what was something we struggled with. I think this makes us more empathetic towards our learners. I do not think my course is perfect but I really enjoyed the process of being able to create a functioning course.

What do I need more work on?
Calendar and planning of availability of content. I have heard different feedback. Some students like all of the assignments available because they like to know the full scope of the course. Others have mentioned they like the material chunked as to not overwhelm. I am ok with either type of presentation of material. Time/experience is where I can see the value of knowing how to quickly create courses. Planning with others/SME’s can also add some input on how the course should look and function. I can see where a teaching background might make this process more seamless. I felt like I was doing all of this at once while learning the program but it was fun! I like my course so far.